Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Linguistic challenges

Having been born and raised speaking English, I tend to sometimes forget just how hard the English language can be. I'll admit I take it for granted the fact that I know when and in which context to use simple words like at, which, in, of, with, etc...

Two of my roommates are not native English speakers; one is from Hong Kong, the other, France. We sometimes get into conversations where they grill me on proper grammar and syntax, asking how to word this sentence or which word to use in conjunction with this phrase. It can be overwhelming.

Last night we had one of these such sessions and I began to realise just how limited my knowledge of the English language is. Yes, I speak it fluently. Yes, I did an undergraduate degree in journalism and therefore like to think I have a little bit better knowledge of the language than the average Joe but still, it's not enough.

And just when I'm getting stressed out about my limited knowledge of the ONLY language I know and speak fluently I come across this interesting video narrated by Stephen Fry.

The man is a true genius and he makes an interesting point: language is not about the correct usage of words and the strict guidelines that surround things like the construction of sentences. It's about context and the ability to get your message across, using words, in the most efficient manner.
Language, like any other art form (yes, I consider language an art) is up for interpretation. It's ever changing, not stagnant, which makes it all the more difficult to master.

It truly is a beautiful thing...

2 comments:

  1. OMG Shazieee!! You are soooo right!! Even being here in France I realize how LITTLE i also know about the language. Actually to be very honest, someone I work with asked me to look through his English assignment and make changes to any potential grammar issues... so obviously I was like sure! So, I took his paper, made some changes with my red pen, and then sent it back to him. We had a meeting after regarding my corrections and he was like uhhh "but I don't agree with this change"... and I was like "come on man, whose the more fluent speaker?" and so we decided to google it... and lo and behold.. HE was CORRECT. Welcome to France where English is not even the official second language... but a land where French speakers speak better English than the native English speakers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I agree.

    Friends come to me often to ask how to construct a sentence properly, because although they can speak the language as well as anyone, they don't know the actual rules.

    I'm no expert, but it's something i've begun to study lately, what are the actual proper ways to say things etc.

    Its a very interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete