Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Web Browser Conundrum

Remember Netscape? That was the first web browser I ever used on the clunky family computer we had in our living room, next to the TV. We had dial-up Internet back then, when getting on the Internet meant you had to listen to this strange beeping, buzzing and ringing noise while clinging to the edge of the computer desk hoping that no one would call the house and the damn thing would eventually connect.

Not too long after that my dad introduced our family to Microsoft. My memories of this period are vague since back then it was cooler to be out playing street hockey and hanging out with the neighborhood kids than to be sitting in front of a computer screen. But somehow, Internet Explorer became a staple in my life. School, work, home. It was all about IE.

It was only when I got my MacBook Pro that I was truly converted to something other than Internet Explorer. Sure, I had used Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Safari now and then. My cousin even installed Firefox on my laptop. But Internet Explorer was what I knew and I always reverted back to it even though it always crashed and I hated it.

I use Safari all day, everyday now. I can't say there are any real, fundamental problems with it, as far as I can see. Sure, you get the odd pop-ups and sometimes it'll crash. Actually, it crashes at least once a week, but it's comfortable, easy to use and pre-installed on my Mac. So, hey, why not use it? I'm not a huge techie so I won't go out of my way to find a newer, better, more efficient browser. Safari gets the job done more often than not so I'm happy with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment